This is one of my favorite units! It motivates students to want to learn about the Native Americans of North America (Eastern Woodlands, Great Plains, Southwest, Northwest Coast, Southeast). I have included 54 pages of lesson plans and printables. All printables fit paper size 8.5 by 11 inches.
For each region, there is a 2-page informational text that gives information about the climate, religious beliefs, resources, homes, food, etc. Along with the informational text, there is a printable for with a reading skill. This one shows context clues/vocabulary.
1. We begin the unit by playing Native American Music – fun fun fun! This is a must and we play it anytime we are making one of our crafts!
2. We create our own Native American names. Cute!!! There are two versions! Printable to draw yourself as a Native American or printable with craft.
2. Then students get a symbols printable and create their own picture writing on brown grocery bags.
3. A project with directions is given using the Informational Text printables and rubric for easy grading!
5. Students map the regions by coloring the map according to how they create the map key.
6. Dream Catchers is a motivational activity to lead to writing! (information about dream catchers, step-by-step instructions on how to make them, printable for Writing center to write about them.)
7. Students create Totem Poles with animals that have meaning to their family dynamics. It also leads to a great writing piece! (information sheet, animal meanings printable, totem pole parts printables, Writing Center printable, Student and Teacher writing printable and rubric.)
8. Also included are Rain Dance instructions.
10. Acrostic Poem