Now that you have finished Mini Lesson #6- Relevant Details, it is time to finalize the paragraph with a CLOSING SENTENCE! FYI- This lesson is for ending a paragraph not a concluding paragraph for the end of an essay. That will come later! MINI LESSON #7: CLOSING SENTENCE
1. Teach: A closing sentence is the concluding sentence. Close the door to the paragraph!
- It summarizes the main ideas or feeling of a paragraph.
- It is not a relevant detail in the paragraph.
- Use a “clincher” to be creative with the closing sentence! (question, humor, excitement, or a future thought)
2. Take Notes: When students take notes and show examples, it will provide them with a reference when writing paragraphs in the future.
7. Assessment and Tracking: Assess and track some of the students’ work for future small instructional groups and review!
Do you need a complete NO PREP Sentence Structure AND Paragraph Unit? There are anchor charts, interactive notebooks pages, practice worksheets, and task cards for each of the following: Complete Sentences, Fragments, Run-Ons, Topic Sentences, Rockin Beginnings, Indents, Relevant Details, Transition Words, Closing Sentences, and Clinchers! As a Bonus- hamburger graphic organizer, and assessment!
Most of this lesson is also included the STEP-BY-STEP Interactive Writing Notebooks with mini lessons for paragraph, narrative, opinion, and informative writing designed to scaffold through the writing process. It includes anchor charts for teaching, interactive notebook pages for taking notes, modeled stories, mentor text, practice sheets, tracking forms, goal forms, prompts, and so much more! Click on the pic below to find out how to motivate students and boost test scores with this STEP-BY-STEP year-long writing program!
“I cannot praise this resource enough!!! I wanted to give it a 5-star rating in every category. It is truly the most comprehensive and engaging writing resource I have ever had the privilege of using. This purchase was worth every cent!!!! Thank you so much for making it available!” – Tina
“I can’t say enough about how great this resource is. We’ve finished the first unit, and I followed each lesson as written out! The grade three and four aligned, but had different lessons, so I looked like a superstar teacher in the first paragraph writing month. Best thing bought from TpT! Would recommend wholeheartedly from a veteran 22 year teacher!” – Diana
“My grade level used this last year and our state assessment scores improved greatly in writing!!! Other grades are using your units! I am soooo excited to see what the kiddos remember from year to year since it spirals. It’s helped them TONS and with our population, we always struggle to find successful resources. We love them!!!” – Megan
ROCK ‘N’ WRITE!!!!!