The first mini lesson under Exchange is Rockin Beginnings. Exchange the beginning of your story for a rockin one!
Start by reading the mentor text, The Paper Crane by Molly Bang and/or The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle.
Here is another example to share. Discuss how it grabs your attention!
Next, explain there are 10 different ways to make a rockin beginning!
3. Amazing Fact
Use examples: Dinosaurs
1. Onomatopoeia- Stomp, Grumble, Growl
2. Question- What if you came eye to eye with a Tyrannosaurus Rex?
3. Amazing Fact- Did you know the Brachiosaurus was 39 feet tall?
4. Quote- (doesn’t have to be famous) My friend said, “This place is ancient!”
5. Excitement- Oh no! The dinosaur is going to eat me for lunch!
6. Opinion- I think the change in climate killed the dinosaurs.
7. Humor- (simile or hyperbole) The dinosaur is as fast as lightning!
8. Repetition- Help! Help! Help!
9. Shocker- It all started when I was in the mouth of a Brontosaurus!
10. Curiosity- Imagine going back to the time of dinosaurs.
Take notes and keep these ideas for each time students write! It will be a great resource!