What is included?
There is a Read First file that includes directions and a chart with all standards, skills, passage titles, and a place for you to check them off.
★ READING COMPREHENSION PASSAGES:
These reading comprehension passages are perfect for CLOSE READING. The passages provide students with a complete narrative, drama or poem to answer the standard-based questions effectively.
- Common Core Standards- 2 lengthly passages for each standard- 18 original passages.
- 3 differentiated reading levels– a total of 54 Passages.
- Lexile level 500-1050- the range of levels for differentiation (Grades 3-6)
- Dyslexic Font- Each passage is written with or without a dyslexic font to meet the needs of all your students. (There is a separate PDF with all the passages in a dyslexic font.)
★ STEP-BY-STEP QUESTIONS:
The questions were formulated in a STEP-BY-STEP process and specifically designed for that particular standard.
Step 1: There are 10 multiple choice questions developed for basic comprehension of the text with some deeper-level questions mixed in. They were designed for students to get familiar with the text and are in the form of:
- Task Cards (Printable)
- Worksheet (Printable or Digital)
- GOOGLE Quiz (Digital)
Step 2: There are 10 rigorous open-ended questions developed for text-dependent analysis so students can think critically and question their assumptions. The last question is a text-dependent analysis writing prompt.
- Without lines to put in a center, on a smart board, or in groups to write answers in a notebook
- With lines to write on the printable
- Digital with text boxes
What is in the Zipfile?
Each mini-unit is labeled according to the standard and title of the passage. There are two files for each title.
- PDF has all the teacher notes, Google Links, and printable pages.
- PowerPoint is for student use to write directly in the PowerPoint. (It is the same as the Google version.)
The PowerPoint and Google Versions are perfect for DISTANCE LEARNING! These versions have larger fonts and spaces for easy digital reading.
★ Answer Keys: PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN THE TEACHER PDF! ANSWER KEYS ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THE STUDENT POWERPOINT OR GOOGLE SLIDES. For each open-ended answer key, teachers will know which questions are directly related to the standard. The answers that are bold-faced are related to the standard.
What focus skills are covered?
CCSS 1: Quote Analysis from Text
CCSS 2: Theme/Summarize
CCSS 3: Compare and Contrast (Characters/Plot/Setting/Events)
CCSS 4: Words and Phrases (Figurative Language)
CCSS 5: Explaining Structure of the Text (Meaning, Tone, Beauty of Text)
CCSS 6: Point of View
CCSS 7: Analyzing Visuals
No Standard 8 in fifth grade
CCSS 9: Compare and Contrast (Stories in the same genre)
CCSS 10: Comprehending Literature
What other skills are found in the questions?
✓ Main Idea
✓ Character Development
✓ Text Evidence
✓ Text Connections
This resource is perfect for any classroom that has students ranging from 4th Grade- 6th Grade reading levels.
Check out a free sample of this resource HERE
About the Dyslexia Version: All of the passages have a dyslexia-friendly font. This is ideal for differentiating for your Dyslexic learners. The font is called Open Dyslexic. Although there is no research behind it as far as fluency or comprehension, I include it for a preference. Some kids will automatically choose it and say they can read it better. My thought is this, if it can help one child, then it is a win! There are actual books written in the font, like the Hank series by Henry Winkler. Interesting!
Thank you for visiting my store!