Are you looking for an end-of-year review or a summer review packet for your 5th graders? Look no further! This no-prep packet is filled with standard-based activities and high-interest passages perfect for 5th grade test prep or summer packets to prevent students from going down the summer slide! These are the perfect summer activities to keep retain what they learned throughout the year!
A study published by American Education Research Journal showed that of their pool of students (studied for five summers), 52% of students lost an average of 39% of their total yearly gains during the summer months. The summer slide is a big deal!
What is included?
1. PAIRED PASSAGES: There are 5 sets of paired passages (10 total). Each set includes 1 nonfiction passage and 1 fiction passage related to the same topic.
2. STANDARD-BASED QUESTIONS: For each passage, there are open-ended questions that are aligned and cover all of the COMMON CORE 5TH GRADE LITERACY AND INFORMATIONAL READING STANDARDS.
3. COMPARE AND CONTRAST: For each set of passages, there are pages of questions that require TEXT EVIDENCE from both passages.
4. WRITING PROMPT: For each set of passages, there is a writing prompt that is related to the topic. You will find narrative writing, opinion writing, informative writing and persuasive writing. In addition, the following is included.
✓ Directions for the writing process
✓ Graphic organizer for that type of writing
✓ Writing checklist for that type of writing
✓ A template to write the final copy
✓ A model of the essay
5. MATH PROBLEM SOLVING: For each set of passages, there is one page of math word problems that is related to the topic. There is a space to figure out the problem.
6. RESEARCH PROMPTS: At the end there are prompts that may use the passages included, but also require additional research. This assures that all COMMON CORE 5TH GRADE WRITING STANDARDS are covered. It has:
✓ 6 prompts
✓ Blank graphic organizer
✓ 2 writing templates for the final copy
7. COMMON CORE STANDARDS: There is a list of standards at the beginning of the resource. The answer key lists what standard was used for each question.
8. GRAPHIC ORGANIZERS: If a question allows, there may be a Venn Diagram, a time line, a writing organizer, or a chart for students to write in.
9. COVER PAGE: If you want to print off 1 packet or all 5 packets, this cover sheet can be used when making the packets.
1O. ANSWER KEY: It is included. Even the writing prompts have a modeled essay for you!
What can it be used for?
★ Test-prep: This will give a thorough review of all reading and writing standards prior to testing.
★ End of year review: Are you looking for enrichment activities or cumulative grades at the end of the year? This provides the right tools to assess students’ learning.
★ Summer Practice: Summer learning loss or the Summer Slide is a real thing! This will prevent children from losing what they learned over the course of the year. The summer learning activities will also prepare them and set them up for success in the next school year. These summer activities are the perfect summer review practice that will close that summer gap at home!
GRAB TEACHING TIPS FROM:
Thank you for visiting my store!