WHAT IS INCLUDED?
1. ANCHOR CHART: Introduce Hyperbole by using the anchor chart. Have a discussion: What is a hyperbole?
2. MENTOR TEXT: Use mentor text to point out hyperboles. There is a suggested list. If you have several books, place them in groups and have students find the hyperboles. (See the graphic organizer)
3. SLOGAN AND LYRICS ACTIVITY: Did you know that hyperboles are found in ad slogans and song lyrics? SEE the GRAPHIC ORGANIZER that can be used for research. There is a Hyperbole Slogan Graphic Organizer to be used at the end of the unit and no worries, I provide a list of catchy hyperboles found in advertising and songs!
4. PAGES TO TAKE NOTES: Printable: Choose one of the differentiated interactive notebook pages or use the mini-anchor chart for the student notebooks. GOOGLE AND PPT: Fill in the boxes.
5. ILLUSTRATIONS: Illustrate a hyperbole in each section. (Not included in digital)
6. PRACTICE PAGES: The practice is set up in a step-by-step process with #1 practice being the easiest. Use all three practices OR DIFFERENTIATE: You may opt to use Practice 1 for students who need less of a challenge, Practice 2 for students on level, and Practice 3 for students who need a challenge.
PRACTICE 1- STEPS 1-4 – IDENTIFY
PRACTICE 2- STEPS 1-5 – IDENTIFY AND APPLY WITH INCREASING DIFFICULTY
PRACTICE 3- STEPS 1-6 – IDENTIFY AND APPLY WITH INCREASING DIFFICULTY, CRITICAL THINKING
7. TASK CARDS: These can be placed in groups or centers. GOOGLE AND POWERPOINT: You may want students to print the answer key if it is too difficult to go back and forth to write the answers.
8. GRAPHIC ORGANIZERS: (About You / Slogan / Any topic) These can be used after Step 6 once students know how to apply.
9. ASSESSMENT: Assess the students’ knowledge. Ways to differentiate are included! GOOGLE AND POWERPOINT: If you don’t want students to have access to the quiz while practicing, cut and paste it into a separate file.
HOW ARE THE STEPS SET UP?
STEP 1: IDENTIFY- Underline the hyperbole.
STEP 2: IDENTIFY- Identify the phrase that has hyperbole.
STEP 3: IDENTIFY- Find the hyperbole in a story.
STEP 4: APPLY- Change words to make hyperbole.
STEP 5: APPLY- Write a hyperbole for a specific topic.
STEP 6: CRITICAL THINKING- What is the meaning behind the hyperbole?
Thank you for visiting my store!