Help students learn all about IDIOMS through this step-by-step method. This standard-based FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE unit will give your students the tools they need to understand idioms. Introduce the lesson using the anchor chart and tons of examples I provide from ads, lyrics, and suggested mentor text list. Then students take notes, practice and apply using the steps and activities. Depending on your group, you may want to differentiate! (See explanation below.) This resource is available in PDF, PowerPoint, and GOOGLE SLIDES.
WHAT IS INCLUDED?
1. ANCHOR CHART: Introduce Idioms by using the anchor chart. Have a discussion: What is an idiom? (teacher notes and examples included)
2. MENTOR TEXT: Use mentor text to point out idioms. There is a suggested list. If you have several books, place them in groups and have students find the idioms. (See the graphic organizer)
3. SLOGAN AND LYRICS ACTIVITY: Did you know that idioms are found in ad slogans and song lyrics? SEE the GRAPHIC ORGANIZER that can be used for research. There is an Idiom Slogan Graphic Organizer to be used at the end of the unit and no worries, I provide a list of catchy idioms found in advertising and songs!
4. PAGES TO TAKE NOTES: Printable: Choose one of the differentiated interactive notebook pages or use the mini-anchor chart for the student notebooks. GOOGLE AND PPT: Fill in the boxes.
5. ILLUSTRATIONS: Illustrate idioms in each section. (Not included in digital)
6. PRACTICE PAGES: The practice is set up in a step-by-step process with #1 practice being the easiest. Use all three practices OR DIFFERENTIATE: You may opt to use Practice 1 for students who need less of a challenge, Practice 2 for students on level, and Practice 3 for students who need a challenge.
PRACTICE 1- STEPS 1-4 – IDENTIFY / UNDERSTAND
PRACTICE 2- STEPS 1-5 – IDENTIFY / UNDERSTAND / APPLY
PRACTICE 3- STEPS 1-6 – IDENTIFY / UNDERSTAND / APPLY / APPLY WITH CRITICAL THINKING
7. TASK CARDS:There is a PDF printable version. These can be placed in groups or centers. A GOOGLE FORMS QUIZ is included for easy grading.
8. GRAPHIC ORGANIZERS: (About You / Slogan / Any topic) These can be used after Step 6 once students know how to apply.
9. ASSESSMENT: Assess the students’ knowledge. Ways to differentiate are included! GOOGLE AND POWERPOINT: If you don’t want students to have access to the quiz while practicing, cut and paste it into a separate file.
HOW ARE THE STEPS SET UP?
STEP 1: IDENTIFY- Underline the idiom.
STEP 2: IDENTIFY- Identify the phrase that has and idiom.
STEP 3: IDENTIFY- Find the idioms in a story.
STEP 4: UNDERSTAND- Using context clues, what is the meaning of the idiom?
STEP 5: APPLY- Use the idiom correctly in a sentence.
STEP 6: APPLY- CRITICAL THINKING- Write a sentence that includes an idioms that applies to the situation given.
Thank you for visiting my store!