This Step-by-Step THEME unit is a complete STANDARD-BASED unit with a variety of activities scaffolded to help students learn an effective approach to identify theme and develop deeper understanding for reading comprehension. Through anchor charts, modeling, mentor text, differentiated passages and interactive pages, practice, task cards, and graphic organizers, students will have a thorough understanding of how to identify theme. It now comes in PDF, POWERPOINT, AND GOOGLE. See the preview!
Identifying a theme within a story is no longer a difficult task for students. The unit uses a scaffolding approach through several skills, so students get a thorough understanding of the theme.
★ STORY ELEMENTS
★ MAIN IDEA
Students will first get a solid grasp of identifying story elements, summarizing, main idea, topic, and lesson. Then theme will make more sense to them.
WHAT WILL YOU FIND IN THIS STEP-BY-STEP TEXT EVIDENCE UNIT?
1. SCRIPTED LESSON PLANS: Take the guesswork out of what to say when teaching text evidence. These plans include what to say, how to teach each lesson, and how long to spend on each lesson.
2. ANCHOR CHARTS for each mini-lesson.
3. MENTOR TEXT already done for each mini-lesson. There is also a suggested mentor text list AND a chart of 9 mentor text listing out summaries, main idea, topic, lesson, and theme.
4. MODELING for each mini-lesson.
5. PRACTICE PAGES for each mini-lesson. Each of them have mini stories to use to identify the skill in the lesson.
6. INTERACTIVE NOTES: for each mini-lesson. The digital version has fill-in-the-boxes notes. The printable version has differentiated interactive notebook pages.
1. Notes written out.
2. Sentence frames (fill-in-the-blank)
3. Write in your own notes
4. Mini-anchor charts (great for absent students and students who have trouble cutting and taking notes.
*****CUMULATIVE PRACTICE USING ALL THE SKILLS*****
7. DIFFERENTIATED PASSAGES: For each of the high-interest reading passages, there are THREE VERSIONS FOR DIFFERENTIATION.
Version 1- LEXILE LEVELS 610 (Grade 3)
Version 2- LEXILE LEVELS 710 (Grade 4)
Version 3- LEXILE LEVELS 810 (Grade 5)
8. TASK CARDS: There are 24 story task cards in a scaffolding order to identify the topic, lesson, and theme. The digital version comes in GOOGLE FORMS and has a separate link for each reading level.
9. BOOK RESPONSE AND GRAPHIC ORGANIZERS: There are 3 different ones that can be used with any book for extra practice.
10. EXAMPLES: There are lists of examples for topics, lessons, and themes.
11. ASSESSMENT: The differentiated nonfiction passage has a worksheet with a space to answer each question.
12. PROJECT: Finding theme in movies
13. TRACKING FORM
14. DIGITAL VERSION: It has PowerPoint or Google Slides for the everything except the task cards. The task cards come in Google Forms. This is great for distance learning and homeschool.
Please Note: All Google Links and answer keys are in the Teacher Printable PDF.
The unit was created for 4th grade CCSS RL 4.2, but works well in other grade levels since there are passages with THREE DIFFERENT READING LEVELS FOR DIFFERENTIATION.
Thank you for visiting my store!