What is included?
For each resource, there is a Read First file that includes directions and a chart with all standards, skills, passage titles, and a place for you to check them off.
★ READING COMPREHENSION PASSAGES:
These reading comprehension passages are perfect for CLOSE READING. The passages provide students with a complete narrative, drama or poem to answer the standard-based questions effectively.
- Common Core Standards- 2 lengthy passages for each standard- 44 original passages.
- 3 differentiated reading levels– a total of 132 Passages (some standards have paired passages).
- Lexile level 400-950- the range of levels for differentiation (Grades 2-5)
- Dyslexic Font- Each passage is written with or without a dyslexic font to meet the needs of all your students. (There is a separate PDF with all the passages in a dyslexic font.)
★ STEP-BY-STEP QUESTIONS:
The questions were formulated in a STEP-BY-STEP process and specifically designed for that particular standard.
Step 1: There are 10 multiple choice questions developed for basic comprehension of the text with some deeper-level questions mixed in. They were designed for students to get familiar with the text and are in the form of:
- Task Cards (Printable)
- Worksheet (Printable or Digital)
- GOOGLE Quiz (Digital)
Step 2: There are 10 rigorous open-ended questions developed for text-dependent analysis so students can think critically and question their assumptions. The last question is a text-dependent analysis writing prompt.
- Without lines to put in a center, on a smart board, or in groups to write answers in a notebook
- With lines to write on the printable
- Digital with text boxes
What is in the Zipfile?
Each mini-unit is labeled according to the standard and title of the passage. There are two files for each title.
- PDF has all the teacher notes, Google Links, and printable pages.
- PowerPoint is for student use to write directly in the PowerPoint. (It is the same as the Google version.)
The PowerPoint and Google Versions are perfect for DISTANCE LEARNING! These versions have larger fonts and spaces for easy digital reading.
★ Answer Keys: PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN THE TEACHER PDF! ANSWER KEYS ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THE STUDENT POWERPOINT OR GOOGLE SLIDES. For each open-ended answer key, teachers will know which questions are directly related to the standard. The answers that are bold-faced are related to the standard.
What focus skills are covered in literacy? GRADE 3 READING PASSAGES AND QUESTIONS LITERACY
CCSS 1: Ask and Answer Questions
CCSS 2: Determine the Central Message, Lesson or Moral
CCSS 3: Describe Characters’ traits, motivations, feelings
CCSS 4: Determine the Meaning of Words and Phrases
CCSS 5: Refer to and Describe Parts of Stories, Dramas, Poems
CCSS 6: Point of View
CCSS 7: Explain Text Illustrations
CCSS 8: N/A
CCSS 9: Compare and Contrast Themes, Settings, and Plots
CCSS 10: Read and Comprehend
What other skills are found in the questions?
✓ Text Dependent Analysis
✓ Recount stories
✓ Explain Key Details
✓ Explain the Character’s Actions
✓ Sequence of Events
✓ Distinguish Literal from Nonliteral Language
What focus skills are covered in informational text? GRADE 3 READING PASSAGES AND QUESTIONS INFORMATIONAL
CCSS 1: Ask and Answer Question Use Text Evidence
CCSS 2: Determine the Main Idea and Supporting Details
CCSS 3: Describe Relationships in Informational Text
CCSS 4: Academic and Domain-Specific Words and Phrases
CCSS 5: Use Text Features to Locate Information
CCSS 6: Distinguish Point of View
CCSS 7: Interpret Information from Illustrations
CCSS 8: Logical Connection, Comparison, Sequence, Cause and Effect
CCSS 9: Compare and Contrast Within a Text and Between Two Texts
CCSS 10: Comprehend Information
Other skills that are covered in the questions:
✓ Provide Text Dependent Analysis
Thank you for visiting my store!