What formats are used?
1. Teacher PDF with how-tos, the google link, and answers.
2. Student PDF with poems, questions, and lines for answers.
3. Google Slides Version to type in the answers.
4. PowerPoint to type in the answers.
How can you use this resource?
2. Print off
3. Digital learning
How can you use the Google Version?
1. Click on the link provided and it will automatically ask you to create your own copy for google classroom or to send out to students via email.
2. Students then click on the link to create their own copy to fill in.
3. They can send it back to you or print.
What skills are covered?
2. Comprehension/Context Clues
5. Describe the narrator: Think about age, personality, interests, character traits etc.
6. Mood and Tone
10. Connection: Text-to-self, Text-to-text, Text-to-world
11. Compare and Contrast
12. Meter: For meter, if you haven’t introduced the types of meter, you can ask the students to count the iambs or syllables instead. I provided answers for all of them.
13. Make Inferences
14. Author’s Purpose
15. Lesson or moral
16. Type of Poem
20. Figurative language/Words and Phrases
What Common Core Standards are covered?
RL 4.5: Explain major differences between poems, drama, and prose, and refer to the structural elements of poems (e.g., verse, rhythm, meter)
Examples: Students refer to the structural elements (e.g., verse, rhythm, meter) of Ernest Lawrence Thayer’s “Casey at the Bat” when analyzing the poem and contrasting the impact and differences of those elements to a prose summary of the poem.
RL5.4: Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including figurative language such as metaphors and similes.
RL5.5: Explain how a series of chapters, scenes, or stanzas fits together to provide the overall structure of a particular story, drama, or poem.
Examples: Students determine the meaning of the metaphor of a cat in Carl Sandburg’s poem “Fog” and contrast that figurative language to the meaning of the simile in William Blake’s “The Echoing Green.”
Thank you for visiting my store,