Step-by-Step Summarizing Unit
Summarizing is an important skill in all reading curriculums. You will find everything you need for summarizing literature. If you have the THEME unit, there is a brief review of summarizing to help understand theme. This resource goes DEEPER into the skill. It is a complete step-by-step process of summarizing with an explicit teaching method.
Aligned to Common Core Standards:
RL.4.2- Determine a theme of a story, drama, or poem from details in the text; summarize the text.
RL. 5.2- Determine a theme of a story, drama, or poem from details in the text, including how characters in a story or drama respond to challenges or how the speaker in a poem reflects upon a topic; summarize the text.
What is included?
1. Anchor Chart: Teach using the anchor chart.
2. Suggested Mentor Text List: Show the skill in a text.
3. Modeling: I use Chrysanthemum and I give summaries for a list of other popular children’s books.
4. Interactive Notebook: Have students add the interactive page to their notebooks and take notes from the anchor chart. You have a choice of ones with notes, sentence frames, or without notes, depending on what your students need. There are also mini anchor charts that can be used for absent students or more differentiation.
5. Practice pages: Use practice pages for whole group or small group work. There is a worksheet and 2 passages with summarizing charts. Each passage has 3 differentiated reading levels.
6. Task Cards: Use the task cards as a game or in centers. Summarizing charts are included.
7. Assessment: Independent Work – A differentiated passage with a summarizing chart. This passage has 3 differentiated reading levels.
8. Extra Charts: Within your whole group reading or student independent reading, use the blank summarizing charts. There are 4 different versions.
Lexile Levels of the passages:
1- Lexile Level- 610
2- Lexile Level- 710
3- Lexile Level- 810
Thank you for visiting my store!
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.