Step-by-Step Reading is a series of effective reading units used in thousands of classrooms. It is full of engaging lessons and resources. A scaffolding approach helps students understand what they are reading. Research shows that building from a basic reading skill to a more complex one not only develops, but strengthens reading comprehension.
Do you your student(s) need help with reading comprehension?
No worries! Through my 26 years of teaching, I struggled to find the right fit for my students. I had so many readers who didn’t understand the text they were reading. That is why I decided to teach students how to comprehend their reading with step-by-step lessons. Over the years, I found ways to engage, motivate and help improve students’ reading comprehension by leaps and bounds! Now I am ready to share my secrets!
Does your reading program lack a step-by-step approach?
These units are for you! The scaffolded lessons are thoroughly laid out to make you a ROCK STAR in your classroom! It is a comprehensive resource aligned to Common Core with everything you need for each skill. Whether you are a new teacher or a veteran teacher looking for an effective approach, you will find many gems in these units. If for any reason you need help, I am just an email away!
I would love to celebrate your success too! Click on the skill (or bundle) you need or scroll for more information.
Click on a unit to see what all the buzz is about!
What units are available?
- TEXT EVIDENCE
- THEME (INCLUDING STORY ELEMENTS, SUMMARIZING, TOPICS, LESSONS)
- MYTHOLOGY (INCLUDING CONTEXT CLUES AND ALLUSIONS)
- CAUSE AND EFFECT
What do you get with the units?
- Anchor Charts for every step in the unit
- EMAIL SUPPORT- Are you struggling with your instruction? Email me!
- Differentiated Passages
- Interactive notebook pages
- Mentor Text Suggestions
- A MODEL of every step in the unit
- Task Cards and Practice worksheets
- Reading Response page
- Graphic Organizer
- Tracking Chart
What will students gain from step-by-step reading units?
- Students will transform from poor comprehension of text to EXCELLENT COMPREHENSION OF TEXT.
- Students will have a notebook full of reading skills to use as a reference.
- Students will be motivated to learn.
- Students will know how to dive into a text and pick it apart for understanding.
- Students will learn tools necessary to comprehend fiction and nonfiction text.
- Students will apply what they learn in their own reading.
- Students will master COMMON CORE READING STANDARDS.
Text Evidence Notebook Example:
What are other educators saying?
- It has enhanced my students’ ability to provide text evidence so much!
- Thanks for providing this invaluable resource.
- I just used the strategy with another article and it was a SUCCESS!
- You so thoughtfully broke down this standard so that my students could fully understand every aspect of it.
- I used these during reading groups and had great success with them!
- It helped me teach such a difficult concept to students in my classroom.
- I appreciate that there are different leveled passages included.
- This worked perfectly to help improve my students inference skills.
- It includes so many different types of activities.
- Excellent and fun resources!
How do you teach step-by-step reading skills?
The units are designed to teach in this order:
- Introduce the skill.
- Provide examples and model.
- Show the skill in a mentor text.
- Take notes to use as a future reference.
- Practice with activities, worksheets, task cards, and passages.
- Apply with graphic organizers and reading response sheets using any text.
- Assess student knowledge.
- Track student progress.
Click your grade level to see what all the buzz is about!
It is a WIN WIN for you and your students!